Some people paint far too fast for their own good these days, and Owen Patten is no exception. The weekend was hardly over before we received pictures of Karl Franz in the What's New Today inbox, only two days after he went on sale at the weekend. Truly Owen's paintbrushes were blessed by Sigmar himself. Before we hand over to Owen though, this will be the first blog post that mentions paint colours since the new range was released at the weekend. Because Owen used a lot of paints from the previous range I will use their names, but put the current equivalent in brackets next to it so that you know which paints to use should you wish to try out Owen's paint scheme yourself. Right, here's Owen to tell you more about how he painted this huge model - specifically Deathclaw, the Emperor's ferocious mount.
Owen: Deathclaw was painted using Scorched Brown as a basecoat, followed by a mix of Scorched Brown (Rhinox Hide) and Vermin Fur (Skrag Brown). This was then layered with Vermin Fur and highlighted with a mix of Vermin Fur and Blazing Orange (Troll Slayer Orange).
The wings were also basecoated with Scorched Brown (still Rhinox Hide) followed by Bestial Brown (Mournfang Brown). Snakebite Leather (Balor Brown) was lightly drybrushed onto the edges of the feathers to provide highlights before the whole feathery area was liberally covered with Devlan Mud (Agrax Earthshade) to shade it.
- Wed, 22 May 2013 - June’s White Dwarf preview
- Tue, 21 May 2013 - The Sons of Titan
- Mon, 20 May 2013 - A dying flame in the darkness
- Fri, 17 May 2013 - The return of Daenyathos
- Thu, 16 May 2013 - The Phoenix Reborn
- Wed, 15 May 2013 - Painting the armies of Ulthuan
- Tue, 14 May 2013 - Civil War and Death Worlds
- Mon, 13 May 2013 - A Conflagration of Phoenixes
- Fri, 10 May 2013 - New from Forge World
- Thu, 09 May 2013 - Grey Knights go Digital