Earlier on, Simon Grant enthused about his love of Space Wolves and we got to see some of his army. He was so excited that we had to give him two posts, so here he is to tell you about how he paints his Wolves, newer models, and a certain Jarl Sigvald Deathgranter...
Simon: I have a five-stage method to painting Space Wolf armour. Firstly, I use the Citadel Spray Gun to apply a basecoat of Fenris Grey. Before doing anything else, I take the opportunity to paint all the metal areas with Boltgun Metal before washing the entire model with Badab Black. I then layer the armour with a 1:1 mix of Shadow Grey and Space Wolves Grey, leaving the gaps in between each section the washed Fenris Grey colour (this provides a more subtle contrast from the vibrant blue-grey of the armour than black shading would). The final stage is to edge highlight the armour with pure Space Wolves Grey. In order to get a consistent 1:1 mix for the armour, I always fill a spare paint pot using a plastic syringe. That way, even if I run out of paint, I can always mix up another batch at any time, safe in the knowledge that it'll be exactly the same shade.
Rob Macfarlane, a talented mate of mine, converted my Wolf Lord, the legend that is Jarl Sigvald Deathgranter, to look just like me. As you can see, he's a handsome fella and appropriately armed with a particularly large frost axe. Perfect! I also painted Canis Wolfborn a few months ago, and couldn't resist the urge to paint some of the beautiful new Fenrisian Wolves to accompany him or act as ablative armour. Did I say that? Shame on me! I'm working on a pack of Thunderwolf Cavalry at the moment. Maybe I'll get the opportunity to show them to you when they're finished. Until then, to fellow Fenrisians out there, may you win only glory and honour, for Russ and the Allfather!
- Sat, 08 Mar 2014 - Et tu Helbrutus?
- Fri, 07 Mar 2014 - By the power of Chaos, White Dwarf is out tomorrow
- Thu, 06 Mar 2014 - Dwarfed in stature
- Wed, 05 Mar 2014 - Transferable Skills
- Tue, 04 Mar 2014 - The Imperial Knight Companion
- Mon, 03 Mar 2014 - Let the crusade begin
- Sat, 01 Mar 2014 - Herald of War – the Knight Companion
- Fri, 28 Feb 2014 - Charge your thermal cannons, White Dwarf and Warhammer: Visions out tomorrow!
- Thu, 27 Feb 2014 - Honour, Courage and Solitude: the life of a Freeblade
- Wed, 26 Feb 2014 - Damned if you do…